Coming up this week...
Dear Library Patrons,
The North Shore Library will comply with the Governor’s Emergency Order #28 and remain closed to the public.
The Library will offer Curbside Pick-up of North Shore Library items and holds that have already been delivered to the library. Delivery between libraries has not yet resumed so new holds will not be available until delivery resumes. For this reason, the HOLD button in the CountyCat Catalog has been disabled. You are not able to place any items on hold in CountyCat at this time.
Scheduling Curbside Pick-up starts on Friday, April 24. All appointments will be next day to allow staff time to prepare your items.
To schedule a Curbside Pick-up: Select the green "Schedule Curbside Pickup" button at the top of this page.
What you should know:
- Items currently checked out have had their due date extended to June 15th.
- Bayside Book Drop is closed.
- Current holds in the system will not expire.
- County Cat does not currently allow new holds to be placed.
- Library cards that expired September 1, 2019 to March 15, 2020 have been reinstated and will expire again May 31 or later.
- Hoopla checkouts have been increased from 4 to 8 per month through April.
- Virtual Storytimes, Book Clubs and many other programs are being offered. See our website for the: Calendar of Events
- The Library offers online resources including e-books, e-audiobooks, digital magazines and more! These resources are available 24/7. Learn about our e-resources at: http://www.mcfls.org/northshorelibrary/database.html
- If you do not have a library card but would like access to our e-resources, you can register for an E-Card here:Get a Library Card This E-card, can be turned into a regular library card by visiting the library when we open with two forms of id.
- If you have questions, you can email us at: NorthShore.Library@mcfls.org. You can also reach out via the CHAT function on our website. Chat is available 10-5 Monday-Friday.
Click for information on the Coronavirus.
Stay up to date on the most current information and recommendations from the following organizations:
Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Wisconsin Department of Health Services
North Shore Health Department
North Shore Library Director
Updates on our Library Remodel...
After considering a number of options for the North Shore Library, the Library Board and the four communities of Bayside, Fox Point, Glendale and River Hills
have decided to move forward with a renovation of the Library’s current space. The North Shore Library Foundation has accepted the challenge to raise $1M
before the construction can begin. Please consider making a contribution toward the renovation!
Click the link below to donate to the North Shore Library Foundation.
How much would you pay out-of-pocket for your library services?
Enter in the left hand column the number of times per month you or your family use each service. Estimated retail value of each service (if purchased) will be calculated on the right. Total value of your library use is shown at the bottom of the worksheet.
Tip: Tab between entries and do not use commas.
The calculator worksheet has been adapted from original downloadable spreadsheet by the Massachusetts Library Association and adapted for the web by Chelmsford Public Library.
Explanation and Values for Library Use Value Calculator
This chart provides background for estimated or average costs for library resources and services.
For example, we used an average between hardcover and paperback prices for adult and childrens books from online retailers to arrive at average prices for those categories. We also relied on the Library and Book Trade Almanac for other print material prices. While the cost of many library resources has remained flat or decreased slightly since 2009, the cost of magazines and newspapers has increased substantially. Updated figures, July 2014
How are values calculated?
Below is a list of estimated or average cost of library services with explanations. Some values may vary.
|Item||Estimated Retail Value||Values Explained|
|Hard Cover Book Borrowed||$18.00||Average cost of hardcover for adults|
|Paperback Book Borrowed||$12.00||Average cost of paperback for adults|
|Children Book Borrowed||$10.00||Average cost of hardcover for children|
|Audiobooks Borrowed||$25.00||Average cost to purchase an audio book|
|Interlibrary Loan Requests||$30.00||Ave rag national cost for loans|
|eBooks/Audiobooks Downloaded||$8.00||Average cost to download an e-book/audiobook|
|Magazine Borrowed||$5.00||Average cost to purchase a popular periodical issue|
|Video Borrowed||$17.00||Average cost to purchase a popular video|
|CDs Borrowed||$22.00||Average cost to purchase a CD.|
|Newspaper Use in Library||$7.50||Average monthly cost of a popular newspaper|
|Meeting Room cost per Use||$50.00||Estimate|
|Program/Class Attended - Adult||$14.00||Estimate|
|Program Attended - Children||$11.50||Estimate|
|Computer Use per Hour e.g. Internet and MS Word per hour||$12.00||Sample hourly rate at internet cafes for people using their computers, not their own laptops.|
|Reference Questions Asked||$15.00||Estimated cost per question|