You may renew materials through CountyCat Mobile (under My Checkouts), through your CountyCat library account (under the Checkouts tab) or via telephone at 414-277-0183. Eligible 3-week materials can be renewed from 7 days before the due date. Eligible 7-day materials can be renewed from 3 days before the due date. Whenever you renew, you will be given an additional loan period equal to the original loan period. You may be able to renew materials that are overdue but any fines accrued from that renewal will be added to your account.
Renew Materials In CountyCat
- Log into CountyCat using a web browser. Within the account find Checkouts.
- You'll see a list of all items you currently have checked out.
- If you click the SORT BY CHECKOUT button, the same button will offer the option to SORT BY DUE DATE.
- Click in the boxes to the left of the titles you would like to renew. Then click the Renew Marked button. NOTE: There is also a button called Renew All to renew all of your checked out items.
- The next screen will offer text asking if you'd like to process. Please click Yes only once.
- The system will display information in RED if/when materials are not able to be renewed. It may be that it's too soon to renew, or you may have reached the limit for times to renew the titles.
Renew Materials Through the App
While in CountyCat Mobile, go to My Checkouts. (You may need to log in if you are not already).
Within the listing, you may renew individual titles using the Renew button. Or choose Renew All near the top.
It's possible that the app may not be able to process the renewal. You may get one of the following messages: "TOO MANY RENEWALS," "TOO SOON TO RENEW" or "ITEM ON HOLD." These messages mean your attempt at renewal was NOT successful.
Click Cancel to go back to the listing of checkouts.
Renew Your Library Card
However you choose to renew your card, plan to have one-to-two valid forms of identifications ready. The number of IDs required varies depending on which library you renew with. It's always wise to have one of the IDs used to verify your identity include a photo, along with a current document (paper or digital) that verifies your current Milwaukee County address. Here is a list of acceptable forms of identification: Lista en Espanol
Examples of Acceptable Name ID
- Valid Driver’s license or state ID
- Valid Municipal ID
- Current Student Picture ID
- Current Military ID
- Valid Wisconsin License which includes physical characteristics, such as a fishing or hunting license
- Birth Certificate
- Current Employment Picture ID
Examples of Acceptable Name and Address ID
- Valid Driver’s license
- Valid Municipal ID
- Voter ID/registration information from MyVote.gov
- A valid and current rental lease agreement with your name and address. No handwritten receipts
- Postmarked mail received at your home within the last 30 days. No window envelopes, junk mail or magazines
- Utility bills (gas, electric, cable and telephone) mailed to you within the last month.
- Printed online account statement from a utility or financial institution with your current address and dated within the past month
- Recent report card from school
- Current school schedule with address
- Current insurance card with name and address
- Recent paycheck stub with name and address
- Pre-printed personal Checks (with your checkbook)
- Vehicle Registration
Renew Materials via Text Messaging
To renew items through a text message, you must first be signed up for text notifications. After you are signed up successfully and when your materials are about to come due, you will receive a text message tied to the correct item(s), one day prior to the due date. The text will give instructions for how to renew one or all items if they are eligible.
The text command to renew all items is RA for RENEW ALL. The text command to renew items from your list of current checkouts is RL for RENEW FROM A LIST.
Renew Materials by Phone
All MCFLS libraries offer telephone renewal using phone number, 414-277-0183.
To renew items by phone, you will need to have your library barcode number AND the barcode numbers of the items you would like to renew. As with online renewals, you may in some cases renew overdue materials, but any fines owed at the time of the renewal will still be added to your library record.