Receive text notices about items available for pick up, items due soon, overdue items, and items ready for renewal. Texts are ONLY sent when activity on your accunt triggers a message. The messages are set up to only go out between 9 am and 6 pm daily. There is no fee for this service, but your mobile service provider’s regular text rates may apply.
Sign Up In Your Library Account in CountyCat
Sign up within your library account:
- After logging into CountyCat using the Log In To My Account option, click the Edit Account button. The Modify Personal Information window will come up.
- To receive text messages, enter in your cell phone number in the box labeled TEXT MESSAGE NUMBER. Please enter it in with no spaces or dashes. Enter it in this field even if a cell phone is already in the TELEPHONE field.
By entering that in, you are agreeing to receive text notices!
- Click Submit to save your changes.
NOTE: You will not receive a welcome text. Instead notifications will come when activity on your library account triggers a message.
What are Some Keyword Text Commands?
Use any of these text commands after you are signed up:
List of items out
Renew from a list
Renew all overdue
Renew overdue from a list
Request a list of items on hold
More text commands include:
- addcard - Add an additional library card to your notifications.
- addemail - Request to update user's profile with an email address.
- dropemail - Request to update user’s profile by deleting existing email address.
- fees- Toggles notification on or off when fees have been added to your account. This option is not automatically turned on when you register.
- help - Request detailed descriptions and how to use each keyword.
- ioweu - Current fees broken down by barcodes
- isbn - Texting the letters "ISBN” + a 10- or 13-digit ISBN number to search the library catalog. Useful if you are in a bookstore and want to check library holdings.
- mycards - Lists the cards you've registered
- resend - Resend the last message from Shoutbomb.
- switchphone - switch carriers or phone numbers. If switching numbers it will ask for your card number.
- quit – turn off the text messaging service.
Can I Associate More than One Library Card to A Text Message Number?
Yes. After receiving any text from the service, send a reply text with the term ADDCARD and respond to the prompts. You will need the other library barcode.
Sign Up at a Library Public Service Desk
To sign up for text notifications, you can connect with a library staff person at a public services desk. Ask the staffer to add your cell phone number to your patron account. You will be signed up. You won't get a welcome text. Notifications will start once there is activity on your account.
NOTE: Text notices are a secondary service to what our MCFLS library system provides for notifications. If you have an email address in your record or want phone notifications in addition to text notices, that is possible!
Do Text Notices Replace Email or Phone Notices?
No. Shoutbomb is the company MCFLS contracts with for text notices. This is separate and secondary to the email, phone and paper notices our library system provides through our system software.
If you sign up for text notices, you will receive other email or phone notices for hold pickups, items due soon and overdue items.
How Do I Quit Using Text Notices from Shoutbomb?
To end all text notifications, and cancel your registration, text the message QUIT to 833-568-6639. Reply to the instructions from Shoutbomb. If you run into any additional issues, text the message STOP to completely remove your barcode from the Shoutbomb service. This will end messages from coming in.
You will also want to go INTO your CountyCat account and remove the text message number from your record.