When editing or creating your PIN, the software will accept a minimum of four characters. And remember, your barcode and PIN can be used not only to access CountyCat but also for electronic resources such as OverDrive and Hoopla.
What if I don’t have a PIN?
To create a PIN for your library record:
- Enter your library barcode or username in the first text box on the CountyCat login page.
- IMPORTANT: leave the PIN area black and click the Submit button.
- The system will then prompt you to create a new PIN. You will need to confirm your PIN and click the Submit button again. If successful, you will be taken into your library account where you can manage it.
If you get this error message:
SORRY, THE INFORMATION YOU SUBMITTED WAS INVALID. PLEASE TRY AGAIN.
It means you already have a PIN. In that case, click the Forgot your PIN link to reset your PIN via the email account tied to your library record.
If you do not have an email address in your library account, or if you are unsure, please contact your local library during normal business hours to reset your PIN.
Does my PIN need to meet certain requirements?
Yes. When you create or modify your PIN, the system requires that your PIN:
- be between 4- 30 characters long
- consider of any combination of alpha-numeric characters (a-z, 0-9) but not special characters like $%*.
- The PIN should not feature any type of pattern such as characters repeated three or more times (aaaa, ababa, bbbb, etc)
- The PIN should not feature a set of up to four characters that repeat two or more times (abab, abcabc, abcdabcd)
Any PIN not considered complex enough will generate a message:
YOUR PIN IS NOT COMPLEX ENOUGH TO BE SECURE. PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER ONE.
How to Set Up a Username In Place of a Barcode
SETTING UP A USERNAME to USE IN PLACE OF THE BARCODE:
You may use a unique username instead of your barcode to log into CountyCat or CountyCat Mobile. To set this up:
- Log into CountyCat on a web browser and go into your library account.
- Click the Modify Personal Information link or Edit Account button.
- Fill in the field for "Username" and click Submit to save your changes. You may also speak to a librarian who can help you enter this information.
NOTE: If you make use of a username, it will appear on the paper slips used to designate materials ready for pickup at most libraries.
What if I forgot my PIN?
If you forget your PIN for CountyCat, you can reset it so long as you have an email address in your library account. If you do not have an email in your library record, or if you are unsure, reach out to a librarian at your home library.
- Go to the CountyCat login page
- click the Forgot your PIN? link near the bottom of the screen
- You will be prompted to enter your library barcode or username and a PIN reset form will go to your email.
What is the limit for a PIN?
The system accepts alpha-numeric characters (a-z, 0-9) but does not accept special characters such as #, *, or !.
The system does not want any type of pattern for a PIN. This means:
- do not enter characters that repeat three or more times (aaaa, ababa, bbbb)
- do not enter a set of up to four characters that repeat two or more times (abab, abcabc, abcdabcd).
If you need more help setting up your PIN, contact your local library.